Five Burning Questions with Screen and Stage Star Megan Hilty
There are few stars that can deliver a musical number like stage and screen diva Megan Hilty. Whether she’s killing it as everyone’s Broadway spirit animal Ivy Lynn on Smash, rocking us on her album It Happens All the Time or bringing audiences to their feet in Wicked, 9 to 5 and Gentleman Prefer Blondes, Megan Hilty always serves up superstar. On April 28, she reunites with Smash composers Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman for The New York Pops Birthday Gala, and she's going to sing those epic Smash songs live. BroadwayBox caught up with Hilty to talk about getting naked on Smash, dreaming of Blondes and her go-to cry movie.
1. If you could only put one Smash moment on your reel, which would you choose?
Either of my sex scenes so people can see my "full body of work" — HA! Just kidding! Any scene with Bernadette Peters because she is my hero.
2. What’s been the coolest baby gift you and hubby Brian Gallagher received so far?
A pink NY Jets onesie.
3. If I said, “Megan, I have $15 million dollars, let’s go.” What show are we doing with you above the title?
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes— I got to do it at Encores! and haven't stopped thinking about it since.
4. What’s your go-to cry movie?
Up. I'm crying now just thinking about it.
5. What’s the one thing you miss most about NYC when you’re in LA and the thing you miss about LA when you’re back in NYC?
I miss NYC pizza— specifically John's on Bleecker; and LA sunshine — specifically being able to wear my flip flops at Christmas time.
Let Megan Hilty be your star at The New York Pops Birthday Gala on April 28 at Carnegie Hall.