Swing into summer with the incredible, new Bandstand cast recording from Broadway Records. Not a day goes by that I don’t listen to at least one or two tracks from it. Below, BroadwayBox reacts in animated GIF to hearing Laura Osnes, Corey Cott, & Company perform these marvelous Richard Oberacker and Robert Taylor tunes.
1. Just Like It was Before (Company)
Toe-tapping opening number that will keep you moving along despite the book moments. And good god, Corey Cott’s voice!
2. Donny Novitski (Corey Cott)
Try staying still during this number! Cott is slaying the vocals(!!) and this Richard Oberacker music just makes you want to twist along.
3. I Know a Guy (Corey Cott, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
Having seen the show a good many times, I can’t help but smile during this number as all the featured players come in to take their place. Also, I practically levitated listening to Corey Cott from 2:05-2:29.
4. Ain’t We Proud (Corey Cott)
This number makes me want to lightly poison Miss Cuthbert’s dinner and go swing dancing.
5. Proud Riff (Donny Nova Band)
Instrumental moments that really show off the skill of these actor/musicians in the band.
6. Who I Was (Laura Osnes)
This is Osnes’ first of many songs and she sounds just as beautiful as always. Giving you that classic Osnes sound fans know and love. But what’s amazing about ‘Bandstand’ is this is pretty much the only number she sings in that voice.
7. Counterpoint/Pie Jesu (Laura Osnes, Bandstand Ensemble)
I love this short little number. I feel like Maria would walk down the aisle to this.
8. Just Like It Was Before—Reprise (Beth Leavel, Corey Cott, Laura Osnes, & Company)
God bless Beth Leavel as the dotty mother. It’s a :53 second song that takes me 3 minutes to get through ‘cause I keep hitting repeat.
9. First Steps First (Laura Osnes, Corey Cott, Donny Nova Band)
This is currently my favorite song on the album. I can’t get enough of it. It’s just 100% perfection.
10. Breathe (Corey Cott, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
Then it goes right into this fantastic number which reminds you how special this score really is. When all the boys come together…dead.
11. You Deserve It (Corey Cott, Laura Osnes, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
They should perform this song more on TV and press events. It’s so catchy and really shows off the talent of the band.
12. Dwight Anson & Jean Ann (Mary Callanan & Orchestra)
I just adore Mary Callanan
13. Love Will Come And Find Me Again (Laura Osnes & Donnny Nova Band)
This is a showstopper. (The first of two Osnes gets to perform in this musical!) This is the kind of showtune you’re singing in the shower, in the car, alone cleaning the house, ya know…
14. Right This Way (Corey Cott, Laura Osnes, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
I feel like a gorgeous sunrise best describes this song musically and emotionally. (Again, another number they should perform more in public.) It’s STUNNING—hello 3:33, and the layers at the end. What an Act One closer.
15. Nobody (Corey Cott, Laura Osnes, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
The most recognizable ‘Bandstand’ track to most is great for getting ready in the morning if you want to feel like a badass. The song makes you want to strut like you’re Beyonce.
16. The Boys Are Back (Bandstand Ensemble)
This is a fast little moment—a mad Charleston.
17. I Got A Theory (Corey Cott, Laura Osnes, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
This song is ADORABLE and so musically rich and fulfilling. With the right group of friends, you could totally host a ‘Bandstand’ dance party with select tracks—new workout craze.
18. Everything Happens (Beth Leavel)
The Tony winner knows how to sell a song. You just sit there nodding along like…PREACH, Mama.
19. Welcome Home (Laura Osnes, Corey Cott)
Just let this “Welcome Home” wash over you as an appetizer for the next one. So beautiful.
20. A Band in New York City (Company)
Another track I listen to every day. For weeks, I have been humming either Mary Callanan hailing a cab or Nate Hopkins singing about art & Merman. It’s truly everything. Your showtune library is not complete without it. This another tune you're going to want to sing out loud and proud.
21. This Is Life (Corey Cott & Laura Osnes)
This song is not only super romantic but I love all allusions.
22. This Is Life (Corey Cott, Laura Osnes, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
Getting choked up the track before “Welcome Home” like. Also Corey Cott’s soaring declaration of love at 1:02.
23. Welcome Home Finale (Laura Osnes, Corey Cott, Joe Carroll, Brandon James Ellis, Nate Hopkins, Geoff Packard &Alex Bender)
Ever since Paper Mill, I have been waiting to have this song on demand and my gosh it was worth the wait. Laura Osnes and the guys are just unbelievable. What a singular showstopper.
24. Epilogue (Company)
Best Epilogue since Fantine and Eponine bring Val Jean to Heaven. This whole album is seriously special, and if you still haven’t seen “Bandstand” live do yourself a favor and get over to the Jacobs Theatre!