Ranking YouTube’s 25 Best Bernadette Peters Numbers In Honor of Broadway Barks
July 7th, 2015
by Josh Ferri
The 17th annual Broadway Barks fundraiser—the starry dog and cat adoption event founded by Tony winner Bernadette Peters and TV icon Mary Tyler Moore—will take place in Shubert Alley (located between 44th and 45th Streets, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue) on July 11. In honor of the feel-good event, which earned Peters a special third Tony Award for her dedication, BroadwayBox ranks the 25 greatest Bernadette Peters videos you'll find on YouTube.
25. “Thank You For Being a Friend”
This number gets high marks in high camp, and for a generation of gay men, it brings together Golden Girls and Bernadette—and what’s better than that?
24. “The Harold Arlen” Medley with the Boston Pops
This gem includes “Stormy Weather” (3:39), “Get Happy” (5:45) and “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” (6:47).
23. “All That Jazz”, Chicago
I’ve always wanted to see her as Roxie, but she sure sells this Velma anthem.
22. “Sooner or Later”, Dick Tracy
And on The RuPaul Show none the less.
21. “Just One Person”, The Muppet Show
20. “The Way We Were”
19. “Broadway Baby”, Follies
It's all about those moves.
18. “I Got the Sun in the Mornin’/Old Fashioned Wedding”, Annie Get Your Gun
Had to give a bit of her Tony-winning performance, even if it has subtitles and doesn’t begin until 1:10 into the clip, but it does include her acceptable speech.
17. “You Gotta Get a Gimmick”, Gypsy
Bernie’s Mazeppa with Julia McKenzie’s Electra and Ruthie Henshall’s Tessie. #Dead
16. On the Town Medley
Did you know Bernadette played Hildy in the 1971 revival of On the Town? Here she gives you a taste of her “I Can Cook Too” along with several other songs from the classic.
15. “Children and Art”, Sunday in the Park with George
14. “No One Is Alone” Into the Woods
13. “Send in the Clowns”, A Little Night Music
Bernadette Peters’ Night Music performance was an incredibly heartbreaking, hard-to-forget moment in the theatre, and if this video was the full song it would have cracked the top 10.
12. “The Synchronized Secretaries”, The Carol Burnett Show
Get ready to live your whole life in this 4-minute clip.
11. “Unexpected Song”, Song and Dance
10. Tony Awards Medleys (Bundled Together)
9. “Pearl’s A Singer”
One of the highlights of her debut 1980 self-titled album, and in this performance she takes such a journey, she ends in tears. Bravo.
8. “Easy Street”, Annie
7. “Being Alive”, Company
When are we going to get Bernadette Peters’ Joanne? Or her Mrs. Lovett for that matter?
6. “Losing My Mind”, Follies
But honestly, who does devastating better than Bernadette?
5. “Last Midnight”, Into the Woods
4. “Move On”, Sunday in the Park with George
And suddenly you’re weeping at this Sunday reunion. #WeWillAlwaysBelongTogether
3. “Time Heals Everything”, Mack and Mabel
2. “Not a Day Goes By”, Merrily We Roll Along
So many amazing “Not a Day Goes By” videos, choosing the best one was a masochist emotional chore but this is it. The commitment to acting is unparalleled.
1. “Rose’s Turn”, Gypsy
Chilling—a master class and a benchmark in Tony night performance history.
See Bernadette Peters and pals at Broadway Barks 17 on July 11 at 3:00 PM in Shubert Alley