Come From Away Tony-Nominated Choreographer Kelly Devine Counts Down Her 10 Ultimate Tony Moments
May 19th, 2017
by Kelly Devine
Kelly's first Tony nomination came for her work on the musical adaptation of Rocky in 2014. She choreographed the long-running hit Rock of Ages and the short-lived musical Doctor Zhivago. She served as associate choreographer on the Tony-winning musicals Jersey Boys and Memphis. Next, she will choreograph the new musicals Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and Escape to Margaritaville.
Scroll on as Kelly Devine shares with BroadwayBox her 10 all-time favorite Tony Awards night performances.
10. “Don't Break the Rules”, Catch Me IF You Can, 2011
What Jerry Mitchell did with Norbert Leo Butz is incredible in that number!
9. “Pinball Wizard/ See Me, Feel Me”, Tommy, 1993
Des McAnuff and Wayne Cilento were ahead of their time. The technical aspects of that performance are awesome.
8. “History Has Its Eyes on You/Yorktown”, Hamilton, 2016
7. “I Wanna Rock/Don’t Stop Believing”, Rock Of Ages, 2009
We were able to use the elevator and rise up out of the floor, and we had Liza!
6. “42nd Street/We’re in the Money”, 42nd Street, 2001
The sequence from their theater to the sidewalk to the subway to Radio City is spectacular!
5. “American in Paris Ballet/S’wonderful/I’ve Got Rhythm”, An American in Paris, 20015
Robbie and Leanne dancing together is just dreamy, and so is Christopher Wheeldon.
4. “Simply Irresistible”, Contact, 2000
Susan Stroman's story telling in "Simply Irresistible" with the girl in the yellow dress subtle and perfect.
3. “Steal Your Rock 'n' Roll“, Memphis, 2010
I think Sergio Trujillo and August Eriksmoen created one of the best dance breaks to date.
2. “Sing! Sing! Sing!”, Fosse , 1999
There are no words how that number makes me feel watching it.
1. "River of Dreams/Keeping the Faith/Only the Good Die Young", Movin' Out, 2003
The dancers are literally flying without wires...... breathtaking!
Don't miss Kelly Devine's Tony-nominated work in 'Come From Away' at Broadway's Schoenfeld Theatre