Avenue Q Star Ben Durocher Takes On Seven Questions About Purpose, Mix Tapes, & What the Internet Is For
November 7th, 2017
by Josh Ferri
Scroll on as Ben takes on seven Avenue Q-inspired questions.
1. What was your first New York apartment/neighborhood like?
My very first apartment was in NYC, Astoria, Queens. There are a whole bunch of really wonderful details in Anna Louizos' amazing set for Avenue Q that remind me of the first block I lived on in Queens. #outerboroughrealness
2. How old were you when you knew performing was your purpose? How did it happen?
For as long as I can remember I've known my purpose was to perform (and to perform with puppets at that!). While it was a community theatre production of Annie that really did me in, I also vividly remember seeing the original cast of Avenue Q when I was in high school and thinking "those actors have the best job in the world."
3. If you could go back to college for a day, what would you do?
There were so many epic parties during my time at school, the technical design students went all out in lighting and decorating their houses for parties, and we would costume ourselves in varying amounts of clothing. Thanks god/too bad we didn't have social media like we do now...
4. What’s something in your life you hope is only for now?
Well, I must admit, it feels really good to say that "Donald Trump is only for now" every night on stage. However I'm also optimistic that my student loans are only for now...
5. Three things you spend way too much time on the internet doing?
1. Shopping on Amazon.com
2. Binging series on Netxflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc...
3. Well, we all know what the internet is for...
6. Canadian celebrity you’d like to be in a fictional relationship with?
While I suppose the obvious answer would be our hunky Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Woof. I've heard he enjoys seeing Broadway shows, maybe we should invite him to Avenue Q? Does this have to be fictional?
7. You, Princeton, and Rod are going on a road trip and you each get to pick a song for the mix tape (playlist), what are your picks?
Ben—"Movin' Right Along"—The Muppet Movie; Fun fact: this one is also on the mixtape Princeton gives to Kate in the show.
Princeton—"Don't Stop Believin'"—Journey; Straight boys, am I right?
Rod—"I Gottcha"—Liza With a Z; He knows every word.
See Ben Durocher as Princeton and Rod in Avenue Q at off-Broadway's New World Stages.