Holler If Ya Hear Me Is More West Side Than Heights
June 18th, 2014
by Josh Ferri
There’s a new musical in town inspired by the musical of late, great rapper Tupac Shakur. And some Broadway fans think rap and then think In the Heights, but we’re here to argue that Holler If Ya Hear Me is much more similar to the ground-breaking and iconic musical West Side Story than In the Heights.
1. There’s A Gang War Brewing on the Streets
2. Some Major Dancing Going On
3. A Guy Who Got Out But Gets Dragged Back In
4. There’s A Wiser, Older Character One Degree Removed From the Street War
5. There’s an Against-All-Odds Love Story
6. “I Get Around/Keep Ya Head Up” Is Like an Amped Up “America.”
7. There’s a Sweet Baby John Type Who Melts Your Heart
8. “Thugz Mansion” Is Totally the “Somewhere” Number
9. Holler Isn’t Afraid to Kill Off Characters
10. It’s Ground-Breaking
Holler might later be viewed as a show ahead of its time. In the same way we look back and say, “How in the world didn’t the iconic West Side Story win Best Musical?”
Check out ‘Holler If Ya Hear Me’ at Broadway’s Palace Theatre.