The River Star Cush Jumbo Takes On 7 Questions About Fish, Hugh Jackman & Josephine Baker
January 22nd, 2015
by Cush Jumbo
Watch out world, Cush Jumbo is coming for you. An actress, an author and a playwright, Jumbo can do it all. One of the fall season’s breakout stars, Jumbo is the woman you want to be friends with (or date if your Hugh Jackman’s mysterious man) in The River, and come spring, she’ll bring her acclaimed one-woman-show Josephine and I to The Public Theater. Written and starring Jumbo, the show weaves together the life of the iconic Josephine Baker and one modern young woman’s own ambitions. Below, BroadwayBox chats with the Olivier nominated multihypenate about Jackman films, famous fish and required Josephine Baker YouTube viewing.
1. What’s your favorite fish-based dish?
Fish and Chips!
2. Which Little Mermaid character still holds a place in your heart?
Sebastian the crab.
3. The most gorgeous sunset you’ve ever seen has to be:
Over Primrose Hill in North London.
4. What would be your desert island Hugh Jackman film?
Les Miz, I could watch it when I was feeling sorry for myself!
5. After playing Mark Antony, what’s the next Shakespearean male character you’d love to sink your teeth into?
Hamlet, without a doubt.
6. The Josephine Baker YouTube video everyone should watch at least once:
Is her performance at the London Palladium for the Variety Show in the ‘70s. Blue spandex, Ostrich feathers and a glittery mic, what could be better?
7. Jumping off your book 101 Dance Ideas for 5-11 yr olds, what is your signature dance move that you bust out at parties, wedding, etc?
The running man for sure.
Don't miss your chance to see Cush Jumbo with Hugh Jackman in Broadway's The River or see her solo in Josephine and I at Joe's Pub.