Meet Your New Crush: Piece of My Heart's Sydney James Harcourt
August 4th, 2014
by Josh Ferri
On Broadway, Sydney James Harcourt has been a Lion King and an American Idiot but it’s as Cuban revolutionary Carlos in the new off-Broadway musical Piece of My Heart that Harcourt walks away with the hearts of New York audiences. BroadwayBox just had to learn more about the Detroit native, whose loves include “felines, vocal jazz, good energy and long walks in the woods.”
1. The Bert Berns song that consistently gets stuck in my head:
“Hang On Sloopy.” Before this show, I had no idea that this was a tune I’d love to sing—or that the lyrics at the end were so dirty. I get a kick out of saying, ‘Come on Sloopy,’ every night.
2. My favorite book, film or theatre piece set in Cuba:
I was part of a reading of a new work called CUBAMOR that takes place exclusively in Cuba. It has an exhibition coming up at NAMT this fall. The music and themes are astonishing—it will soon be many peoples’ favorite piece of theater set in Cuba.
3. Bert Bens song I’d use as the title of my memoirs:
Show Me Your Monkey – an autobiographical survey.
4. The celeb I’d easily give a piece of my heart to:
Stephen Colbert. I know, lame answer. With his chiseled looks and blatant sex appeal, it’s an obvious choice. But it’s hard for me to meet core conservatives with staunch Republican ideals—patriots, as I like to call them—in my field. I feel like he’d understand me.
5. The TV show I can’t get enough of:
RuPaul’s Drag Race. If you’ve seen it, you know why.
6. The album I am playing out this summer:
Mel Tormé: The Best of the Concord Years.
7. Best pop-culture cat ever:
Toothless, from How to Train Your Dragon. That is clearly a cat. A loyal, flying, fire-breathing cat.
8. If I had describe my time in Rocky Horror in a Tweet (140 characters):
Gold glitter EVERYWHERE. Hookups r a nightmare. No1 will believe Im a cop now. Was that my pic on the side of that bus??! #whitegirlproblems
9. App on my phone I couldn’t live without:
Words With Friends – NYCROYBOY
10. If they ever did a revival of _____, sign me up!
I’m not good at this, I really like new works. But, dream role? The Goblin King in a musical adaptation of the 80’s film Labyrinth. Can someone make that happen?
See the super-crushable Sydney James Harcourt in ‘Piece of My Heart’ at off-Broadway’s Pershing Square Signature Center through September 14.