10 Things You'd Only Find Backstage at 50 Shades! The Musical
April 3rd, 2015
by Tim Murray
Actor, comedian and creator of the YouTube series Lanky Scoliosis, Tim Murray gives a memorable performance as creeper Jose in off-Broadway’s 50 Shades! The Musical—the laugh out loud parody of “the greatest novel ever written” 50 Shades of Grey. The musical, now in its second smash year at Times Square’s Elektra Theatre, is such a hoot and can be enjoyed by die-hard fans of the series or people who nothing but the famous title. BroadwayBox recruited citizen journalist Tim Murray to capture for us 10 things that you wouldn’t see at a Sondheim or Lloyd Webber show but can only find backstage at 50 Shades! The Musical.
1. Daily abs competition. Carol is showing us her mom jeans and her mom's genes in this flattering flat stomach shot!
2. We have a huge bottle of vaseline backstage but we're not sure why... or are we... No we really, really aren't sure.
3. Thing-a-ma-bobs she's got FIFTY! If you find a fork backstage you have to make the cast red head pretend to brush her hair like Ariel.
4. We have chairs backstage but some of us are weirder than others... Chloe prefers the laundry basket. I keep trying to convince her to let us push her down the stairs in it as I once did as a kid. She's not having it.
5. Oh no!!! I accidentally walked into the girls room while they were changing!!! Oh wait no... that's actually her costume in the show.
6. Props to the props department. It's exactly what you think it is. And that model pose is something we worked on for a while. Carol is available for modeling shoots but will only pose with this prop.
7. At all times only one of us is wearing pants and only one of us is wearing a shirt. If the entire cast gets together we have almost an entire outfit for one person.
8. The book club ladies getting ready for their entrance! They're all "Tim come with us on stage! You're our favorite human alive! You look so handsome today." In no way were they like "get that camera out of here creep we're trying to do a show."
9. Doing our best Selina Kyle impression in these red room masks. Selina Kyle being Catwoman but everybody knows that. And if they don't, I make them listen to my impression of Anne Hathaway doing it as punishment.
10. BUSTED! Jack Boice grabbed the last pic of the day as Alec and I napped in between shows. See later Broadway boxers! Thanks for coming backstage with 50 Shades! The Musical!
Hurry over to the Elektra Theatre to see the truly hysterical musical parody 50 Shades! The Musical before its final performance on April 26.