Introduce Yourself(ie): 10 Questions with The Color Purple's Squeak, Patrice Covington
May 9th, 2016
by Patrice Covington
Amid the audible crying and praise hands over at the hit, Tony-nominated musical The Color Purple, Patrice Covington brings pure joy and laughter in her Broadway debut as Squeak, Harpo's aptly-named girlfriend who dreams of being a big singer.
Below, BroadwayBox gets to know Covington a bit better as she talks about the acclaimed revival, her music career, and playing Dreamgirls at the Apollo.
1. The thing I hear most often from friends and family after they see The Color Purple is:
"Oh my God!"
2. My process for finding the perfect voice for Squeak included:
I literally just played around until it was as obnoxious as possible. I'm still playing. It's fun to watch people screw up their faces and plug their ears at that...noise.
3. The biggest pinch-me moment of this experience has been:
4. Three things I can’t live without backstage:
Snacks, my phone, and Grasan Kingsberry.
5. My favorite Squeak-ism she says during “Push Da Button”:
All of the squealing!
6. My most cherished Effie White memory from the Dreamgirls tour:
Opening the show at the world famous Apollo Theater! It was so unforgettable and monumental to perform a legendary show at a theater where legends were born!
7. The artist who has provided the biggest influence on my music:
Whitney Houston. Always and forever. Period.
8. Movie I love so much I know every. single. word.:
Sister Act 2. Literally EVERY single word.
9. I have been known to totally nerd out over:
Horoscopes! I find them very very interesting.
10. My most ideal day off would include:
No plans. Lots of time spent with my sweet shady dog Lyric. And watching the day unfold into something memorable and fun with my loves.
See Patrice Covington in the Tony-nominated Best Revival 'The Color Purple' at Broadway's Jacobs Theatre.