Hudson Loverro makes a seriously showstopping Broadway debut as Young Calogero (or C as he's known in the neighborhood) in A Bronx Tale. His big song, "I Like It", is a highlight of the night and the audience goes wild for it every time. Hudson originated the role in the Broadway musical in 2016, and still knocks it out of the park.
BroadwayBox gets to know Hudson a bit better below as he talks about being on a kid on Broadway, sharing the stage with Chazz Palminteri, & touring with Kinky Boots.
1. How do you get ready for this show? Do you listen to certain music to pump you up?
I don't listen to music before the show, but I do vocal warm-ups and I have many rituals with the other cast members, like handshakes, hugs, and dance moves.
2. How does it feel when the audience loses it for “I Like It”?
It's really the best feeling in the whole world being up on stage, knowing I can do what I love and make people happy.
3. What do you and your big C, Adam Kaplan, bond over?
Well, this is the second show Adam and I have been in together. I played the younger version of him both times. We've really gotten to know each other over the past 2.5 years. He's a really great guy. I'd say we bond over the fact that we both love to perform!
4. What’s been the coolest perk about being a kid on Broadway?
Getting to be part of the Broadway community.
5. What’s been the biggest challenge about being a child on Broadway?
Definitely managing a tough schedule with the show, school, dance and voice lessons, baseball, other jobs that I do in TV, film, radio, and voice-over, and just being a regular kid. Even though it's hard I wouldn't trade it for the world.
6. How has your performance as C changed from when you opened the show in 2016?
I'd say I've matured as an actor and as a person since I started with the show in 2016 with the help of my teachers, my parents, and the A Bronx Tale cast and company members.
7. What cast recording are you obsessed with and know every word to? What’s your favorite song on it?
Right now, it's Spongebob and I love "Bikini Bottom Day". I listen to it anytime I need motivation or a pick-me-up.
8. What did you enjoy most about playing young Charlie in Kinky Boots on tour?
Getting to go on tour was an incredible experience. It was great getting to see different parts of the country and spend time with all of my chaperones. I had about nine different chaperones, including my parents, grandparents, great-aunt, cousins, friends, and my manager. I also had an amazing tutor/guardian. The cast and company members were really awesome as well.
9. Did you have a favorite tour city?
Los Angeles because even though I was born there I only lived there for a short time as a baby. Getting to spend more time in the city of my birth was special. It's a cool place because it's close to the beach and the mountains.
10. What’s it like to share the stage with Chazz as Sonny? What feels different about it?
It's been an amazing experience working with Chazz because it's HIS story. He played Sonny in the one-man play, the movie, and now in the musical. Whenever someone new joins the show it's a bit strange and takes a little getting used to but it's also exciting to see how they portray the character. Chazz has his own spin on playing Sonny and it's great!
Don't miss Hudson Loverro as Young Calogero in A Bronx Tale at Broadway's Longacre Theatre.