10 Ways the Worlds of Broadway’s Side Show and American Horror Story: Freak Show Intertwine
October 28th, 2014
by Josh Ferri
Now the timing really couldn’t be more perfect since TV fans worth their salt are immersing themselves every Thursday in the haunting and fascinating world of the side show thanks to Ryan Murphy’s uber-popular series American Horror Story: Freak Show.
Below, BroadwayBox looks at 10 similarities between Side Show and Freak Show and why fans of one should run to see the other.
Now we are talking just obvious, OMG, totes comparisons so Elsa and Sir or Elsa and Terry would be too much of a stretch.
1. The star attraction at the freak show is a conjoined set of sisters.
2. One dreams of fame while the other is just looking for her love.
3. Both sets of sisters were mistreated in their youth by their guardians.
4. In addition to their unique look, the sisters also draw crowds with their gift of song.
5. The musical numbers are worth obsessing over hardcore.
6. In that time a talented "freak" could easily make a name in vaudeville.
7. For freaks, private joyous events like marriages and births are just another day of public amusements.
8. The gang of freaks and oddities is also a little familiar:There's a geek
A fortune teller
A bearded lady
An intersex person
9. But fans are drawn in by the family of freaks and their real offstage bonds.
10. And soon enough, you learn that they are just like us only extraordinary looking...except the American Horror Story freaks, those guys kill.
Side Show is now in performances at Broadway’s St. James Theatre.