Five Ways Hamilton Is the Jesus Christ Superstar of Its Day
June 8th, 2016
by Josh Ferri
Hamilton is a full-fledged pop culture phenomenon, and its genius is undeniable. But how is no one else talking about its similarity to the 1971 pop culture phenomenon, Jesus Christ Superstar?! Let’s review.
1. It’s a Musical Based on Historical Events That Changed the World
2. While It Takes Place Then, The Sung-Through Score Reflects the Contemporary Music of the Day
3. Historical Figures Are Represented Onstage by a Multicultural Cast
4. It Centers on the Rivalry Between Two Frenemies, One of Which Brings About the Death of the Other
5. The Antagonist Kicks Off the Show
Tune into the Tony Awards Sunday to see Hamilton take some trophies home to the Richard Rodgers Theatre.