Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill Tickets
Six-time Tony winner Audra McDonald returns to Broadway as Billie Holiday in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill. Featuring a score of iconic Holiday hits, this play with music brings the essence and spirit of the late singer-songwriter to the stage.
Discount Offers on Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill Tickets
Sorry, this show has closed.
About Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill - On Broadway
- Running Time
- 90 minutes (no intermission)
- May be inappropriate for 12 and under
- Apr 13, 2014
- Oct 5, 2014
- User Reviews
- Write the first review!
Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill Reviews
- As for the singing, it's a testament to McDonald, who has one of the strongest voices in musical theater, that she molds hers to fit Holiday's sound. She manages to capture that smoky, peanut-buttery, sometimes staccato delivery. It's haunting. Close your eyes and Lady Day is back.
- Mark Kennedy, Associated Press
- Audra McDonald channels Billie Holiday in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill. This is McDonald at her most intimate.
- Joe Dziemianowicz, New York Daily News
- Only a fool would second-guess the transformative power of Audra McDonald, but when it was announced that this five-time Tony Award-winner was going to portray Billie Holiday in the Broadway production of Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill, I must confess that I had my qualms...But from the moment McDonald takes the microphone, a metamorphosis more striking than any in Ovid occurs.
- Charles McNutley, Los Angeles Times
The time is 1959. The place is a seedy bar in Philadelphia. The audience is about to witness one of Billie Holiday's last performances, given four months before her death. More than a dozen musical numbers are interlaced with salty, often humorous, reminiscences to project a riveting portrait of the lady and her music. Songs include “God Bless the Child,” “What a Little Moonlight Can Do,” “Strange Fruit” and “Taint Nobody’s Biz-ness.”