She's Funny That Way: Betsy Wolfe on Woody Allen, Bullets Over Broadway & Her Conjoined Twin
May 22nd, 2014
by Josh Ferri
Broadway belter Betsy Wolfe is once again bringing our jaws to the floor with her killer vocals in Woody Allen and Susan Stroman’s new musical Bullets Over Broadway. As unappreciated girlfriend Ellen, her second act song “I’ve Found a New Baby” is one of the highlights of the whole night and probably the reason you’re buying the cast recording. BroadwayBox caught up with the Drood and Last Five Years alum to talk about new babies, old siblings and worn VHS tapes.
1. My desert island Woody Allen movie:
Annie Hall. ANNIE HALL. One of the best romantic comedies.
2. My favorite part of 1920’s fashion:
I'm not sure men's suits have ever been as beautiful as they were in the 1920s.
3. Susan Stroman musical that rocked my world when I saw it:
Crazy For You. I'm resisting the urge to say that, "It's such a great show, who could ask for anything more?” So I'll go for the more obscure, "They've written other Gershwin song catalogue musicals, but not for me."
4. Character that I’ve played in New York that I most relate to:
Daisy in Side Show. I don't get into this too often, but I was born with a conjoined twin. Working on that role really brought up a lot of those memories. I've said too much.
5. The musical that made me fall in love with Broadway:
Into the Woods. I wore out the VHS tape because I watched so many times.
6. My idea of runnin’ wild includes:
I'm a lady and that is none of your business.
7. You know it’s time to find a new baby when your significant other…
Has misplaced your baby.
Don't miss Betsy Wolfe blowing the roof off the St. James Theatre in 'Bullets Over Broadway.'