Introduce Yourself(ie): 10 Questions with She Loves Me's Nicholas Barasch
March 1st, 2016
by Nicholas Barasch
Nicholas Barasch is the adorable comic relief Arpad (a delivery boy longing to work in the perfumery) in RTC's romantic revival of She Loves Me. His big number "Try Me" has audiences cheering over at Studio 54, which should come as no surprise since the young Barasch has already had featured roles in RTC's The Mystery of Edwin Drood and the most recent Broadway revival of West Side Story. Below, he talks to BroadwayBox about the ambitious Arpad, his former co-star Chita Rivera, and his culinary passions.
1. Quality I admire most about my character, Arpad, is:
His ambition! He's a confident, EXTRA-hard worker who is steadily climbing the ladder of success. (Admittedly, he also doesn't have much of a filter, which can be a bit awkward at times...but also endearing!)
2. My favorite piece of imagery in our revival of She Loves Me:
Our entire set is beautiful! David Rockwell, our set designer, is a genius. But if I had to pick one part of it, I would say the glass counters in the shop. They're filled with perfume bottles that literally gleam in the light—totally mesmerizing.
3. The most memorable day of She Loves Me rehearsals was:
Definitely the day Sheldon Harnick came to a rehearsal to watch a run of the show. Singing his lyrics with him in the room was daunting, exhilarating, out-of-body—all of the above!
4. IMO, the most romantic musical ever has to be:
West Side Story, duh! Except for the ending...which is...well, you know.
5. Hashtag to describe my Drood experience:
#bustlefluffah (if you've seen the YouTube video, you'll know what I mean! If you haven't...look it up! You won't be disappointed.)
6. Movie I love so much I know every word:
The Incredibles. I know every word and still wish I had every superpower in that badass family.
7. Fictional character I feel might be my spirit animal:
Hm. I guess Ron Weasley?! Haha.
8. Outside of preforming, I am passionate about:
Food! Cooking, baking, chompin'.
9. My New York City happy place:
Blue Ribbon. It's a Japanese restaurant near Columbus Circle that has melt-in-your-mouth sushi. And green tea ice cream. Heaven...
10. The three most important things in my She Loves Me dressing room right now are:
1) A picture of me and Chita Rivera
2) Wintergreen altoids. Always.
3) A message from myself three years ago that I wrote on the wall in sharpie (I was in the same dressing room for Drood!)
Fall for Nicholas Barasch in RTC's 'She Loves Me' at Broadway's Studio 54.