It is a good day to be a fan of musical theatre. Sh-K-Boom Records released the cast recording of Steve Martin and Edie Brickell's new musical Bright Star; and all that can be said is that if Hamilton was the album that got us through the winter, Bright Star is what you want to be listening to all summer. Scroll on as BroadwayBox reacts in animated GIF to listening to each track for the first time.
1. If You Knew My Story (Carmen Cusack & Company)
I will probably say this several times throughout, but Carmen Cusack is a wonder. How lucky we are to have her on Broadway with 'this' score! Perfect match. Also, this song just makes you want to dance in the sun.
2. She's Gone (Stephen Bogardus & A.J. Shively)
Yeah, this one is a bit of a downer but stick with it because good gosh those harmonies are just stunning (1:50 in).
3. Bright Star (A.J. Shively & Company)
This song needs to be on all your summer playlists. You can’t help but smile and move along.
4. Way Back in the Day (Carmen Cusack & Company)
This song was immediately added to every playlist I have. It’s so beautiful and just listening to it makes you feel like the sun is beaming down on you. Not to mention, Carmen’s “Come on what are you waiting for.” Please.
5. Whoa, Mama (Carmen Cusack & Paul Alexander Nolan)
The combo of Paul Alexander Nolan & Cuscak on this song is almost too much to take. There’s a 90% chance I’m going to make this my alarm on my iPhone so I can wake up with it daily.
6. Firmer Hand/Do Right (Carmen Cusack, Stephen Lee Anderson, Dee Hoty & Company)
There’s no way you can stay still during this track. It’s so fun.
7. A Man's Gotta Do (Michael Mulheren & Paul Alexander Nolan)
Keeping the fanning in check, P.A.N.’s track on this song is so damn good. #DatVoiceDontQuit #NotEvenForASecond
8. Asheville (Hannah Elless)
If Hannah Elless ever decides to give up Broadway, she could have a legit country career. This beautiful song could be on the radio today.
9. What Could Be Better (Carmen Cusack & Paul Alexander Nolan)
This song sounds like how first love feels.
10. I Can't Wait (Carmen Cusack & Company)
You just want to melt into this song and Cusack’s voice.
11. Please, Don't Take Him (Carmen Cusack, Michael Mulheren, Stephen Lee Anderson, William Youmans & Dee Hoty)
Someone get this woman a Tony nomination already! What are we waiting for here?!
12. A Man's Gotta Do—Reprise (Michael Mulheren)
Tough guy… (Gorgeous strings in the background though)
13. Entr'acte (Orchestra)
14. Sun Is Gonna Shine (Company)
Again, this is the Broadway album of the summer. Play it in the car, on the beach, by the pool, dancing home alone. #Praise
15. Heartbreaker (Paul Alexander Nolan)
Listening to those vocals like…
16. Another Round (Emily Padgett, Jeff Blumenkrantz, A.J. Shively & Company)
This is the only GIF that kind of scratches the surface of how much I LOVE this song. This is my new getting ready to turn up song #SorryIgnitionRemix, and might be my new Insta bio too. Also, bless Emily Padgett.
17. I Had a Vision (Carmen Cusack & Paul Alexander Nolan)
This is going to be one of those songs you’re going to be performing full-out in a matter of weeks.
18. Always Will (A.J. Shively & Hannah Elless)
Major aw moment.
19. So Familiar (Carmen Cusack & Company)
20. At Long Last (Carmen Cusack & Company)
[Insert your own comment about how no one can do what Carmen Cusack does]
21. Finale (Company)
Selfie, except swaying to the music.
22. Bright Star—Reprise (Company)
23. Sun Is Gonna Shine—Single Version (Carmen Cusack)
I keep talking about summer but this is a must-own album for any season. There’s no other show that sounds like this and is recorded with this level of talent. Go download and enjoy.
See these songs live in Bright Star at Broadway’s Cort Theatre.