A Snapshot of My Life Today: Violet’s Levi Kreis
July 23rd, 2014
by Josh Ferri
In 2010, Broadway newcomer Levi Kreis won a Tony Award for his electrifying performance as Jerry Lee Lewis in the musical Million Dollar Quartet. Since that time, Kreis returned to his roots as a singer/songwriter—writing, recording and performing live gigs around the country—but now he’s back on Broadway as the impostor preacher who shatters Sutton Foster’s faith in the terrific, Tony-nominated revival of Violet. Below, BroadwayBox catches up with Kreis to get an idea of what his life is like today.
1. The best thing about my current Broadway role in Violet:
The first time I worked with Leigh Silverman, the director of Violet. She’s so great to work with. The whole team is great. I look forward to work every single day.
2. Before I step on stage, I typically:
Do a quick grounding meditation. I re-live a few key memories of the character to get me focused, and then just trust my work, stay present, and let go. It's live theater, so anything is bound to happen!
3. The last time I really admired or took notice of my Tony Award:
I’m grateful for the opportunities it’s provided me. I’m grateful to be a part of the Broadway community and to work with actors that inspire and challenge me to keep growing.
4. After a performance of Violet, I like to:
Immediately go home, have a snack, and go straight to bed. I’m an early to bed, early to rise kind of guy.
5. The last photo I took:
Uhm…With a very large M&M at M&M World.
6. My current NYC obsession:
7. The background to my cell phone right now is:
Lots of gym sweat. Lots of audiobooks.
8. The album I can’t stop listening to:
Toni Braxton and Babyface: Love, Marriage & Divorce. The perfect R&B album.
9. The book I really want to find the time to read:
Lamb: The Gospel According To Biff by Christopher Moore. A hilariously irreverent account of the Life Of Jesus…the years unaccounted for.
10. The last TV show I’ve watched at least three episodes in a row of:
Big Brother. Addicted.
11. The last time I laughed until I nearly cried:
Videos of people tripping and falling. For some reason, it gets me every time.
12. The highlight of my day typically includes:
The first cup of coffee.
See Levi Kreis back on Broadway in the Tony-nominated musical revival of ‘Violet,’ running at the American Airlines Theatre through August 10.