Meet Your New Crush: The Last Ship Star Collin Kelly-Sordelet
November 17th, 2014
by Josh Ferri
Collin Kelly-Sordelet makes an absolutely killer Broadway debut as Rachel Tucker's rebellious teenage son Tom Dawson (as well as young Michael Esper in certain flashback scenes) in The Last Ship. BroadwayBox caught up with the super-talented New Jersey native to talk about the thrilling new musical, its Grammy-winning composer Sting and his Garden State pride.
1. My most cherish memory from The Last Ship opening night:
I will always cherish the entire evening, but getting to share the night with my family and girlfriend was pretty spectacular. The fact that it was my girlfriend's birthday made it an even better evening.
2. Favorite Sting pop song to jam out to:
“Roxanne.” Music just doesn't get any better than that.
3. My signature dance move in real-life would be:
The "awkward kid in the corner dance" is usually my best move at parties.
4. Coolest thing my dad [renowned Broadway fight director Rick Sordelet] ever taught me:
My father taught me stage combat from a very early age, which I've always considered pretty cool.
5. If I could get on a ship to anywhere, I’d be heading to:
Well my great grandfather traveled to America from Greece when he was twelve years old. I've always wanted to see Greece to explore my roots in terms of family as well as theater. I would like to make the same trip as my great grandfather, but in reverse.
6. Favorite thing about growing up in the Garden State:
Bagels, Deli's, and that you can find anything you want in Jersey. If you want a shore line, we've got it; you want farmland, it's there; more wooded area, totally exists; cities, check. I love my state and I am damn proud to be from New Jersey.
7. The last TV show I binge-watched was:
I was recently binge watching Boardwalk Empire. I wanted to catch up for the new season.
8. An album I wore out growing up:
“By The Way” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I really loved that album when I was growing up and I listened to it almost every day.
9. The wallpaper on my cell phone is actually:
The view of the sunset looking over the Hudson River from my Juilliard dorm room.
10. One movie I’m outrageously excited to go see is:
I'm really excited to see Inherent Vice. It's the new Paul Thomas Anderson film coming out on January 9th.
See Collin Kelly-Sordelet’s Broadway debut in ‘The Last Ship’ at the Neil Simon Theatre.