12 Reasons Why Pippin Is the Show You Should See This Summer
June 3rd, 2014
by Josh Ferri
It took its sweet time but summer finally arrived in NYC. Let’s celebrate by seeing a Broadway show, but something you can relate to on many levels. And while it looks fun, you’ve never been a drag queen who makes shoes, a Grammy-winning singer-songwriter or a serial-killing social climber in Edwardian England; but you know what, you have been a young adult struggling to find your identify (who hasn’t?!) and that’s why you should see the Tony-winning musical Pippin.
1. The show is about young Prince Pippin, son of King Charlemagne, who graduates from university and now has to find his place in the world. Bonus: Broadway’s Pippin (Kyle Dean Massey) looks like this.
Photo by Broadway.com/ Joan Marcus
2. On the right/wrong day “Corner of the Sky” can make you cry. Who doesn’t want their life to be “something more than long?”
3. During his quest to find his purpose, young Pippin dabbles in war, sex, and politics.
4. Which leads to a complicated relationship with his parents.
5. And, like most of us, it turns out he only has a passing knowledge of how politics actually works.
6. Because his grandmother is one of the most colorful characters in his life and will say pretty much anything.
7. He struggles with self-doubt.
8. He has real concerns about peer-pressure.
9. He uses dance to blow off steam.
10. Pippin knows what it is to be super bored at work (probably because he’s so “extraordinary”) .
11. His closest crew are a bunch of clowns.
12. He takes a chance and falls in love with someone he doesn’t expect to and his whole life is changed.
Photo by Joan Marcus
See yourself in Broadway’s ‘Pippin’ now at the Music Box Theatre.